There are presently no open calls for submissions.
You may begin your application, leave and return later to complete it. The system will automatically save a draft of the information that you enter as you go.
You will not be able to edit your application after clicking the Apply button located at the bottom of the form, so be sure to make all of your edits prior to submitting your form.
If you have technical difficulties please click the Technical Help link at the bottom of the form and our customer service team will assist you.
Our Mission: Torchbearers was founded in 2003 with the mission to enhance Greater Akron by investing in the development, connection and engagement of our membership comprised of evolving leaders with a passion to impact our community.
Our Vision: We envision a culture of diverse leadership in which Torchbearers (TB) are engaged and making a meaningful contribution to our community.
Our Purpose: We ignite young change-makers to shape Akron!
- Applicants must be at least twenty-five (25) years of age and under thirty-nine (39) years of age at the time of application;
- Attend all new member TB Leadership Development events (see calendar below);
- Achieve at least 100 points by participating in TB events (TB Sponsored Community Service, GMMs, etc.);
- Active involvement in a Torchbearers committee;
- Demonstrate a long-term commitment to the Greater Akron Community;
- Payment of annual dues of $350 for the first year and $300 in subsequent years. Payment deadline for first year members is December 15, 2020. Please note that dues are non-refundable. Payment plans and need based scholarships are available upon request to the Torchbearers’ Treasurer. Scholarship and/or payment plan requests are kept confidential between the Torchbearer President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer and will have no bearing on acceptance into Torchbearers.
2021 TB Leadership Development Curriculum Calendar
TB LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES (TENTATIVE):
Saturday, February 20, 2021: Leadership Training: Strengths
Saturday, April 3, 2021: Leadership Training: Communication
Wednesday, June 5, 2021: Leadership Training: Collaboration
Wednesday, August 7, 2021: Leadership Training: Leading Change
Saturday, September 25, 2021: Leadership Training: Capstone Event
Wednesday, November 3, 2021: Graduation
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS:
Friday & Saturday, January 15 & 16, 2021: Kickoff Retreat and New Member Orientation
Tuesday, March 23, 2021: General Membership Meeting #1
Tuesday, May 18, 2021: General Membership Meeting #2
Tuesday, July 21, 2021: General Membership Meeting #3
Tuesday, September 21, 2021: General Membership Meeting #4
Tuesday, November 9, 2021: General Membership Meeting #5 (Holiday Party)
Expectations: Torchbearers' first year curriculum requires a significant time commitment. We believe you will find your return on investment to be significant as you grow as a leader, participate in new community service opportunities, and develop meaningful relationships with those around you. Given the competitive nature of our application process, we ask that you seriously consider the expectations outlined above and only apply if you, in good faith, are able and willing to meet them. If you are unable to do so, please do not apply at this time.
If you wish to help fulfill the organization’s mission and vision, and if you can commit to devoting the time and resources necessary to being an active member, you must complete and submit this application by 11:59 p.m. EST on June 30, 2020 to be considered for membership. All applications submitted after 11:59 p.m. EST on June 30, 2020 will be deemed untimely and not considered.